Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wild Rapids of Westwater


Westwater is a stretch of river that begins almost at the Colorado/Utah border. It is rated the #1 whitewater day trip in the Northern Hemisphere. The reason is because there is not only beautiful scenery and human history, but the canyon is made of Vishnu Schist, a dark black metamorphic rock that creates these great hydraulics and thus rapids. Powell named it "Vishnu" after a Hindu God meaning "creator-destroyer-preserver."
http://k43.pbase.com/u44/ronhrl/upload/33620455.Vishnuschistdatingfrom.jpg
Well, we were lucky enough to go down the canyon twice a day for three days! I got to row it twice and I learned so much both times. I had a "FLOW" experience when my challenge met my skills at Skull rapid on the third day. Joselyn coached me through the canyon and I had a great experience! This canyon is not without risk, we had several swimmers (but no serious carnage) and it teaches me to respect the canyon. I loved Westwater!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Way to go, Ava! And what a babe! :) I love you!